Saturday, September 29, 2012

Better Than Coffee


"The best part of waking up..." Folger's tagline



I read recently that coffee is the national non-alcoholic drink of the Dominican Republic. Dominican coffee, the country's main export, is known for its rich, full flavor. The coffee, served most often in espresso cups with sugar (tons) and maybe a bit of cream, is an eager offering. Entrepreneurs set up their own versions of Starbucks at the side of the road consisting of a makeshift table or shack, thermoses, and small disposable plastic cups. A large plastic tub of sugar is readily available and quickly emptied by the spoonfuls. There are coffee machines in grocery stores and gas stations where you can purchase a mighty fine cup of joe for just over a dollar. Just hit the button marked "cafe con leche" and sip slowly. It's good stuff.

I'm not quite sure when the habit developed for me, but each morning I stumble into the kitchen in my p.j.'s, throw a couple of scoops into the filter, pour the water into the thingy, flip the switch, and wait with anticipation for the coffee to brew. The smell alone makes me happy. Some mornings, after the boys leave for school, I pour myself a second cup and take a few minutes to sip and savor. Pure joy!

Recently, while at bible study, one of the women there prayed a prayer that jolted me more than my daily shot of caffeine. "God," she said, "I want to desire you more than my morning cup of coffee." At first I thought she was joking and a quiet giggle escaped my lips. But then her words soaked in and I realized the sincerity of her prayer. I asked myself, "Do I look forward to spending time savoring God in the morning, hearing from Him, letting Him fill my cup, as much as my daily dose of coffee?" What? Of course I do! How absurd, right? Hmmm...

Ever since that morning, I still enjoy my coffee, you betcha, but lately I've been pondering my friend's prayer. It has been a good reminder to me of my true priorities and the attitude I sincerely wish to have when it comes to savoring my relationship with my God, who is truly "The best part of waking up..."

"Because of the Lord's great love...His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.'" Lamentations 3:22-24




No comments:

Post a Comment